Global Citizen is a non-profit organization founded in 1995 to promote, lead and advance social justice efforts through ongoing civic engagement among diverse groups Areas of focus include poverty, racial equity, citizen action, community volunteering, literacy education, service learning, community building, public health, economic opportunity, digital inclusion, the environment, leadership development and civic dialogues.
Global Citizen leads year-round initiatives as well as the annual Greater Philadelphia Martin Luther King Day of Service, the oldest and largest King Day event in the nation. Over the past twenty-five years, more than two million volunteers have participated throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware, with many projects serving as a springboard to ongoing civic engagement. Other Global Citizen programs include:
- Beer Summit on Race Relations
- Citywide Reading Captains early literacy initiative in partnership with Read by 4th
- Public School Supplies Drive
- Neighbors in Action Community Leadership Workshops
- Connecting volunteers with opportunities at community partner organizations and citywide networks
- Quarterly conversations on race, class, and power